Wednesday, December 12, 2007

December 2007: Blogging for Learning

TCN executive editor Doug Fisher doesn't shy away from bringing new technologies into the classroom. In his article, adapted from a presentation at this past August's AEJMC conference in Washington, D.C., Fisher discusses how his students at USC use blogs to reinforce traditional skills and learn new ones.

Read the full article here.

You can comment on this article by using the comments link below.

Recent and archived issues of The Convergence Newsletter

1 comment:

Denise Barkis Richter, Ph.D. said...

Doug, Well done! I’ve had my students blog for two study abroad experiences (Oaxaca, Mexico, in June 2006 (where we were tear gassed by the state police on June 14!), and Spain in June/July 2007). I also blogged to help set the pace. (Also, so there wouldn’t be any whining about the fairness of it.)

Here are the links:

http://deniseoaxaca.blogspot.com

http://denisespain2007.blogspot.com

One cool thing to come out of the last blogging experience was that a guy from England who publishes Spain for Visitors’ website featured our blogs:

http://spainforvisitors.com/Article162.htm

All in all, blogging is insta-worldwide publishing. It was a challenge to blog on the run, but my students seemed to really get into it, as did I. (I wish they’d get more into grammar, spelling and punctuation!) I also enjoyed having people back on campus thank me for blogging. The general remarks were: “You made me feel like I was there.” Needless to say, that made my day.

Cheers, Denise

Denise Barkis Richter, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Communications Department
Palo Alto College
San Antonio, Texas